Rather than recoil at violent language, GOP leadership seems to see it as a chance to turn out votes.
Words matter–and they matter even more when they are violent words.
When Americans threaten to use firearms to enforce their political views, the violent threats carried by that language undermines the system of public debate on which our system depends. Healthy political debate can sustain a great deal of anger and passion, but it cannot sustain repeated threats of violence and calls for violent assault as a form of political engagement.
It is time for right-wing political talk of violence to stop before passions turn to bloodshed.
The Republicans are bought into the craziness at a very deep level. They will not get better. They will explode or fizzle out, but they will not get “well.” These sick puppies prefer revolution and the overthrow of the United States government to honest political dialog and debate. We really need to put these crazies into the booby hatch. At very least, we must stop giving them political credibility. The political instrument of moneyed elites, and a retrograde societal force, the GOP today is more negative than ever. Its agenda, if fully implemented, would prove catastrophic. Here’s what an unfettered Republican Party would do “for” America:
1) Greatly reduce or entirely eliminate taxes on the rich, forcing working families to make up revenue shortfalls.
2) Bust labor unions, and prevent collective bargaining for wages and benefits.
3) Stubbornly deny the climate change while pumping more pollutants into the environment from dirty industries and practices.
4) Remove regulations on investment banks and credit card companies eroding consumer protections.
5) Continue to criticize and under fund public education, advocating private schooling instead, to dumb workers down.
6) Outlaw abortion, under a moral guise, impelling thousands of functioning females to perish because of sexist denials of their basic rights.
7) Continue to recite a Pledge of Allegiance whose last six words are “with liberty and justice for all,” while harrassing homosexual citizens.
8) Speak often and loftily of freedom, but engage in neo-McCarthyite witch hunts, Red-baiting name calling, and a host of Patriot Act sins against the U. S. Constitution in the name of “national security.”
9) Bully the world with US aggressions on foreign soil, kill countless thousands of innocents, waste billions of badly-needed dollars, and make us hated around the planet.
10) Generally drive down the income levels of America’s working-class majority, as a cost-saving corporate measure, dooming society to economic ruin!
11) Lie about affordable health care for all, creating a national security threat by fooling some Americans into thinking that public health care is a godless socialist attack on basic American freedoms.
12) Unleash de facto ethnic cleansing against 12 million immigrant men, women, and children, blaming them for hardships experienced due to capitalist excess.
13) Shamefully try to lend credence to their avarice and social irresponsibility by revising the Bible to obscure passages that place human need before abject greed as one conservative group is really trying to do!
14) Support intensely bigoted hatred that has crazed extremists dreaming of literally tearing Barack Obama to pieces and gassing all liberals.
15) Place the livelihoods and lives of over 300 million Americans in the hands of incompetent ideological “purists” such as Sarah Palin.
While there are certainly Democrats who’ve yet to show spine in furtherance of vital change, let’s be absolutely clear about the unmitigated disaster that would follow if Republicans, in their present ultra-rightist incarnation, ruled our country exactly as they wickedly wished.
We Move to Amend.We, the People of the United States of America, reject the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling in Citizens United, and move to amend our Constitution to:
- Firmly establish that money is not speech, and that human beings, not corporations, are persons entitled to constitutional rights.
- Guarantee the right to vote and to participate, and to have our votes and participation count.
- Protect local communities, their economies, and democracies against illegitimate “preemption” actions by global, national, and state governments.
Signed by 281,821 and counting . . . CONTACT: http://www.movetoamend.org/Loads of useful information and contact links.
Tags: blood will be spilled, friends don't let friends vote republican, republican war on America, Republicans are wrong on everything, Republicans bought into craziness at a very deep level, Republicans have no credibility, Tea Party is not relevant, the GOP is more negative than ever, time for right-wing political violence to stop, why trust Republicans?